1. The cajun crawfish theme has been popular among the Vietnamese community. Why is that?
The Vietnamese cultures along with other Asian Cultures love to have family and friend gatherings. Crawfish and the other items in our concept help facilitate that tradition since it is mostly finger foods that you take your time to consume rather than pound it down fast and move on. Family and friends can meet at our cozy place and catch up with each other over a few pounds of Crawfish, beer, chicken wings and more.
2. Any difference between Viet-style cajun crawfish and the usual cajun crawfish?
Vietnamese style Crawfish is actually Cajun/Creole inspired. We simply use the traditional Cajun/Creole recipes and incorporate some of our cultural ingredients into it in order to make it our own.
3. On the surface, each crawfish restaurant looks identical, but they are, in actuality, different. What's different about LA Crawfish's style comparing to, say, Boiling Crab or Hank's Crawfish?
At LA Crawfish we strive to give our our customers the best that is available on the market. We may have to pay a bit more for bigger crawfish(graded/select/jumbo) and cut into our margins, but we feel better serving the only the best available to our beloved customers. From our ingredients in our sauce to our Pho is always acquire the very best we can get our hands on. We take great pride in our products, so we don't skimp on anything here when it comes to the end product our diners are being served.
4. If someone were to come to LA Crawfish for the first time, what would you recommend?
Our menu is tailored small for a purpose. We only serve what we are good at creating. So everything you try on our menu is rocking @ 100%. Of course our Crawfish would be what I would typically suggest as the introductory item. But everything else on our menu is just as good. ;)
5. Seasonal-wise, when are the best times to come to crawfish places?
People don't typically know this but LIVE Crawfish is available all year round if the restaurant has the connections AND if the restaurant is willing to pay higher costs for the Crawfish during the off-season. Crawfish is at it's best size starting in Feburary(if you have the connections) through the end of July. But with the popularity of Crawfish, farming growth and technological advances have made sizes and quality of the Crawfish extend for a longer period of time. As the years go on, may there will be huge Crawfish available all year long.
6. What's the hardest part about operating a crawfish restaurant?
For us, its a fun job, so nothing is really hard for us. We're young and hungry, so we always positive and go-go-go. I guess the hardest part, is getting Crawfish during the off season. But we still manage to do it.
7. You guys have recently installed a few projectors and 100" screens for football. What is usually playing on them when it's not football season?
We usually have ESPN on by default. But if our diners have requests we are happy to oblige as long as it is appropriate for all ages. :)
8. Is the NBA lockout going to affect sales if no games are playing on the screen?
We don't believe the games affect sales much. If the NBA lockout is long term, then sports fans can't access the games anywhere else either. ;)
9. You guys use your facebook account way more than your website. This is occuring in a lot of restaurants as well. Is social media quickly taking over as a restaurant's choice as the more effective way of reaching out to your customers?
Yes, social networking is a great tool that many businesses can implement to help get their concept out to the public at minimal costs and with a small learning curve. It really depends though on the demographic your concept is set to appeal to and it is a double edged sword as well. Social networking can negatively affect a business if it is used improperly.
10. How has being in Ranch 99 help or hurt LA Crawfish vs. being in Chinatown?
Being in a market has its pros and cons. Chinatown is more competitive. 99 Ranch has higher rent rates but more pedestrian traffic.
11. Best way to eat a crawfish?
Best way to eat crawfish is with good company, good conversation, and a cold drink. And of course at LA Crawfish haha! :)
12. Do people usually get confused that the LA stands for Louisiana and not Los Angeles?
Yes. But it isn't a big deal because we get the chance to educate our customers a bit on our product. And we're happy that the customers love us so they can call us anything that like haha :)
13. If LA Crawfish expands to other cities, which cities would you like to see it expand to?
I would like to expand in Houston first before moving out to surrounding cities in Texas. :)
14. Finally, your Coogs are having their best season ever. Excited?
Go Coogs! The owners @ LA Crawfish are all UofH alumni, so we take great pride in our school. Games are always shown here and we even have a few UofH items hanging on our walls. :)